Sunday, December 28, 2008

Seth's birthday and a little bit about mine

The drawback about sharing your birthday with your 5 year old son is the fact that your birthday is almost forgotten. The positives are now that I'm older, I don't really care about big celebrations for my birthday and it gives me an opportunity to forget about myself and focus on one of the things I love most: Seth.
Seth has never had a friends party and wanted one this year, so we indulged him. Maybe too much. Although he has never seen the movies, he wanted an Indiana Jones party. (He says he saw one at home, which I have not asked Brent about yet) Maybe he gets his inspiration from his older cousins who make their own movies. There's this one and this one. Either way, he chose a fun theme and we ran with it.

Young Indy showed up and gave each of the kids paper fedora hats that Brent made. (With the instructions to not stand near an open flame when wearing them)

Then he told them about some of his adventures and that his treasure he found was stolen and he needed their help to get it back. He handed out little bags that Brent's mom sewed for all the kids. She's an angel. More on her and her visit later...

Then he showed them how to use a whip. The kids were in awe as he popped each ballon.

They followed their maps to all the locations where they could gather treasure but first they had to pass off on mummification.

Then they had to search through the "Pit of Doom"

Then go through the Indian village

Then dig through monkey brains (jello) for treasure


Several friends from church and school came and of course lots of cousins!




Does this boy look thrilled or what?

Young Indy was actually a boy from our church's ranch nearby and he was so good to come and do this. Seth and some of the other kids thought he was the real thing!


The night before as we were sewing, baking, and finishing hats I asked my mother-in-law if we were crazy. It was all worth it though. There were a few things I would have added but just didn't have the time. It will probably be another five years before his next big birthday party.


Now I wish I had pictures of me blowing out my candles but alas, there was no cake for me this year. I just realized that as I was putting this together. Sad, huh? Not really. In defense of Brent he did a lot for this party and it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun as it was if it didn't have the touch of Brent's creativity too. Also, in defense of Brent, he does soooo much throughout the year to spoil me that I can overlook this slight mistake.


But the next time? I don't know...

6 comments:

Happy said...

Happy Birthday Jill! And okay, you might just be the coolest mom ever! If you wouldn't mind shooting me an email and letting me know how you made the hats and all the rest of the details, I will save it and use all of those ideas myself someday! Too cool!

Janet said...

That looks like so much fun, I'm really sad we missed it! The cake looks awesome and the hats were worth Brent staying up all night to make them. :)

LINDSAY said...

hey jill, i just found your blog from happy's! it is so good to see your family- and your boys are gorgeous! happy belated birthday.

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday to you! (I don't think I've had a cake on my birthday since I got married. None of my kids share my birthday, so what's Steve's excuse?)

That party looked so fun! You guys did such a great job. What more could a kid ask for? It's fun to see how all of the cousins and kids from church have grown.

Kelli said...

I don't usually have a cake either. Usually just an offer at the dessert menu where ever we happen to be! My VT made me one two years ago, and that was really fun.
That party is awesome! It's so fun to do a themed party. The last one I did was for Summer's 3rd birthday. She's coming up on her 5th, but I don't think I'll be up to a big one this year. Maybe T Jay will be able to score a big one. Come to think of it, the Indiana Jones theme would go over great. He hasn't seen the movies either, but he has the lego Indian Jones game for the Wii.
How did you make those hats? Very cool!

Jill said...

Brent made the hats and as he was finishing the last few he said he figured out a way to make them faster.
They sell paper ones but they seemed real cheap and flimsy. These were pretty sturdy and the kids could keep them for a little while at least. I'll have him come up with a tutorial. :)
It was a fun theme and there are a lot of other ideas on the internet too.